Despite my carnivorous ways, I’m a big fan of Meatless Mondays.
(or Meatless any-day-of-the-week, it doesn’t have to be alliterative)
This isn’t because I’m worried about my health (on the contrary, meat is an extremely vital part of my diet) or the planet. Nope, it’s motivated solely by my wallet.
Adding one vegetarian meal to our rota once a week just makes sense in terms of the family budget.
I just have to get the whole family onboard first. When this curry made it to the table yesterday, Hubs poked at his plate and said: “Where’s the meat?”
Chickpea & Kale Curry (serves 3-4)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 4 large kale leaves, trimmed and shredded
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into very small cubes
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into tiny florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsps grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsps fresh cilantro
- 2-4 tbsps coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and heat for a few minutes over a medium heat until the onion colours.
- Stir in the potato, cauliflower, turmeric, garam masala and cumin. Stir to combine then lightly fry for 5 minutes, adding more oil if it starts to stick.
- Stir in a tbsp of cilantro, the kale, the chickpeas and the coconut milk. Turn down to a low heat and let simmer for a further 5 minutes until the cauliflower and potatoes are tender.
- Serve with the remaining tbsp of cilantro sprinkled on top.
Like this? You might also like: