According to cookery lore, devilled eggs were quite the conversation piece at 80s dinner parties.
I wouldn’t know.
In the 80s the only parties I attended or hosted involved playing Dreamphone and watching movies like Ghostbusters (which, FYI totally stood the test of time). Devilled eggs were pretty low on our priority list.
Now though I can’t get enough of ’em. What’s not to like? They are creamy, salty, tangy, delicious and other good adjectives. Garlic only adds to the brilliance of a very simple, but very satisfying dish.
You can make in advance and they’ll keep beautifully in the fridge for up to 24 hours. If you do decide to keep for a later date, make sure you refrigerate sans the paprika and sprinkle that on just before serving.
It’s time for an 80s revival, people!
I’m bringing back devilled eggs…along with Bruce Springsteen’s rockin’ headband, fluorescent eyeshadow and my innocence. Admittedly I can resurrect only two of those things but a girl can dream.
Now who’s with me?
Garlicky Devilled Eggs (serves three, or two if you want that little bit extra)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsps mayonnaise
- dash of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- salt and pepper
- Carefully half the eggs and scoop out the yolk. This is painstaking so, if you are not a patient person, get a patient person to do it for you.
- Put the yolks in a bowl and add the mayo, garlic, lemon juice and mustard. Stir until creamy and smooth.
- Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Insert a large teaspoon of the mixture back into the hollowed out eggs (I nearly wrote eyes – how creepy is that?)
- If saving for later, put the eggs in a tupperware container in the fridge until needed. If serving straight away gently sprinkle a light dusting of paprika over the top (again you might need that patient person to assist).