Those who say you can’t make mayo without a food processor are filthy liars.
It’s not only possible, it’s also quick and easy.
I don’t own a food processor (I know, I am a very poorly equipped chef) and I’ve made mountains of mayo in my time…..mmmm…mayo mountains.
True, it requires a bit more elbow grease without machinery, but I look at it like an extra arm workout.
This is mayo that is not only tastier and healthier than store-bought stuff, it has the added benefit of banishing bingo wings.
Avocado & Garlic Mayo (makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (make sure it’s decent quality)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 egg yolks
- Pour the olive oil into a container that seals (a jar will do). Add the garlic cloves, seal and leave overnight to infuse.
- Drain the oil to remove particles of garlic then add the avocado oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon and ACV.
- Gradually pour a steady stream of the oil into the egg yolks, while whisking continuously. I whisked with one hand while dribbling in the oil with the other – it’s a gradual process that requires patience but stick with it, and take breaks if your arm gets tired.
- The mayo should thicken nicely to a sauce consistency. Decant it into a suitable container and store in the fridge where it will thicken further. Ours lasts about a week. It might last longer but I can’t say since it’s usually all gone by then!
Like this? You might also like:
This post was also shared at Party Wave Wednesday