Here’s a little trick for all you ginger-fans out there.
Peel your ginger root, then wrap it in some wax paper and put it in the freezer.
When you want to use it, just take it out and grate it straight into your dish.
Normally I don’t go in for kitchen ‘hacks’ (most are very disappointing – I’m looking at you, baking-soda-to-boil-an-egg-that-peels-easily) but this one delivers.
There’s none of the mess that comes with grating fresh ginger, and your root will last for aeons in the cosy confines of your freezer.
You can also throw easy, simple but sophisticated, side dishes like this one together at the drop of a hat.
Gingery Pan-Fried Kale (serves 2)
- 4-6 large kale leaves, trimmed
- 2 tsps grated ginger root
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 spring (green) onion, chopped
- Melt the butter/oil in a frying pan and add the garlic and onion. Cook gently over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the kale to the pan and sprinkle over the ginger. Stir until the kale is just wilted then serve immediately.
Like this? You might also like: