I’ve been hearing for a while that mashed avocado is a good substitute for mayo, but I never quite believed it (an April Fool’s perhaps?!).
There are some mayo-based dishes that are classics and would be ruined with such blasphemy.
Or so I thought….until I ran out of mayo.
With a bunch of hard-boiled eggs peeled and glistening at me, and a very ripe avocado begging to be used up, I took the plunge.
This is not your mother’s egg salad. This isn’t even a picnic egg salad. It’s something different and, dare I say, better.
Now that I know the taste doesn’t suffer, swopping out mayo for a healthy superfood like avocado seems like a no-brainer. You’ve protein, you’ve fats, you’ve antioxidants…what’s not to love?
Avocado Egg Salad (makes a cup)
- 3 large eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 spring (green) onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tsps lime juice
- sea salt and black pepper
- Mash the avocado to a creamy puree then stir in the onion, cilantro and lime juice. Chop in the eggs, season well and stir until everything is combined.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Like this? You might also like: