It was jump rope day at the gym yesterday and I’m proud to report that I managed 500 skips (jumps) before collapsing in a sweaty, stinking heap.
And for those of you thinking that’s not an impressive stat, I challenge you to get up from the computer and go replicate it.
Not so dismissive now, eh?
All of which is to say that after a workout like that one, I needed a high protein snack.
For some reason, my belly doesn’t do well with meat after the gym so I tend to go for veggie protein sources like chickpeas.
This is a great salad for making in bulk and keeping handy in the fridge. Then you can snack on it to your heart’s content – with or without the gruelling jump rope marathon beforehand.
Citrus Chickpea Salad (serves 3-4)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsps lime juice
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsps chopped cilantro
- a pinch of salt
- Whisk together the oil, orange juice, lime juice, cumin, ginger, salt and cilantro.
- Stir in the onion then add the chickpeas and sunflower seeds. Toss to make sure everything is well-combined. Store in the fridge.