Anyone who reads this blog with any regularity knows my semi-shameful secret by now – I’m a feeder.
I show love through food. It constantly amazes me that Hubs is not 50lb overweight (and that thought immediately makes me want to bake him a cake).
This weekend Hubs returned from a long work trip and I was excited, relieved that he was home safe and very grateful.
How did I show those emotions?
Cheesecake can be a vehicle for many things and in this case every bite was loaded with love.
(is that too soppy? probably but I don’t care – marriage is awesome like that)
Guava Cheesecake Bars (makes 12)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter, softened
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 16oz cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pureed guava
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsps lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Grind the nuts together until a fine crumb. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the maple syrup and nut butter until it clumps together to a thick paste.
- Spread this onto a lined 7in x 11in baking tray and place in the fridge to chill.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend the guava to a smooth puree.
- Whisk the puree together with the eggs, cream cheese, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest until thick and thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the cheesecake filling onto the nut crumb base. Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes. To prevent cracking, let them cool very gradually (ie leave the oven door open but don’t remove them, then transfer to the counter for a few hours) before storing in the fridge.
Like this? You might also like: