They tell me spring has sprung but I was in Canada recently and Ontario has not got that message.
There’s something unholy about a wind chill of minus 22 in March.
I love you, Canada, but we’re going to have to talk about this.
The only remedy for this kind of eyelash-freezing, snot-producing, skin-shrivelling weather is to stay inside with a pot of chili, a loved one and some dark chocolate for afters.
Classic Crockpot Chili (serves 4)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsps ground cumin
- 2 tbsps paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne (or omit if you don’t like it spicy)
- to serve: grated cheese, sour cream, avocado, fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the garlic, onion, celery and green pepper. Let the mixture sweat for a few minutes then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the beef, followed by the spices. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir and cook until the meat has just browned. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes and stock to the slow cooker. Stir everything together then cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Like this? You might also like: