Where I come from, flapjacks are made from oats, butter and sugar. That’s it.
There’s no denying it’s a tasty combination (they had me at ‘butter’) however I like my ‘treats’ a little on the healthier side these days.
So there’s no sugar in these – just a tbsp of honey which you can omit if you’re going really pure – and no oats.
No grains at all, in fact. Just energy-giving nuts, fruit and coconut.
They are also dairy-free so even the lactose intolerant can get onboard.
The only people not invited to this party are those who don’t eat eggs (sorry). For those unlucky few, I’d suggest using flax seeds instead. Let me know in the comments if you go this way.
GF Cranberry & Coconut Flapjacks (makes 9)
- 1 large egg
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 sunflower seeds (I used roasted/salted, but raw are fine too)
- 1 tbsp manuka honey (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mash the bananas very well until they are almost smooth. Whisk in the eggs, honey and vanilla.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon into a greased or lined 9in x 9in baking tray. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until firm and starting to brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing into squares.
Like this? You might also like: