My brother makes a mean mustard mash, and it was this that gave me the idea of adding condiments and sauces to ordinary mash to make it so much more than smooshed veggies.
This is very customisable.
I chose the best of the winter’s root veg but you can certainly adapt it for your own favourite vegetables.
Hubs finds the whole concept of ‘favourite’ veg totally alien, but he’s slowly coming around to the plant-eating side of life.
Mainly because of side dishes like this one.
Pesto Root Vegetable Mash (serves 3-4)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tsps pesto
- salt & pepper
- Place the veggies in a saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt then bring to the boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Drain. Add the butter, season well and mash thoroughly until smooth.
- Stir in the pesto. Serve.
Like this? You might also like: