Peanuts aren’t actually nuts, they’re legumes. So if you’re avoiding legumes for any reason I’d suggest using sunflower seed butter.
I made this just as the latest cold snap hit the eastern US coast. Even though we’re far south of that mess, it still got a bit chilly here and this soup was the ideal antidote.
We ate two bowls each, snuggled on the sofa and stuck a hot water bottle in the bed for later.
It’s the little things….
Crockpot African Lamb & Peanut Stew (serves 4-6 )
- 1 lb diced lamb
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 1/2 tsps cumin
- 2 tbsps fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups chopped and peeled sweet potato
- If you have the time, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook for a few minutes then spoon into the crockpot. Turn the heat under the saucepan up to high and add more butter if needed. Fry the lamb until browned then remove and add to the crockpot (if you are short on time, skip this step and just these ingredients directly to the crockpot).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Like this? You might also like: