To my great disappointment, Hubs didn’t even notice these were heart-shaped when I served them last night with some carrot and parsnip fries.
In his defence, by the time they got to the table they were buried under a mound of slowly melting cheese (in our house the motto is: Eat Cheese With ALL THE THINGS).
I’d also recommend serving them with a mint and cumin dip.
And, if it’s not a special occasion, ditch the heart shapes and just serve them as ordinary burgers.
They won’t convey your love, but chances are your significant other won’t notice anyway.
Valentine’s Moroccan Style Burgers (makes 4 small burgers)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ras-el-hanout
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or butter
- Add the seasonings to the beef and mix well (I find it easiest to do this by hand). Divide the meat into four equal balls and carefully shape each into a heart-shape, using a mould or just your hands. Don’t be afraid to make them large and thin (about 1/2 inch thick) – they will shrink as they cook and cook quicker.
- Lay on a plate, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Melt the fat in a large frying pan and, when it starts to sizzle, carefully add the burgers. Fry for 2-3 minutes on one side until browned then gently flip and cook for 2 minutes on the other side. Serve.
Like this? You might also like: