This Irish gal has come to like plantain, sometimes (shussssh) even more than potato.
Also they are incredibly cheap here, which helps now that I’m making 2015 The Year I Stick to a Budget.
Yeah, I’m not too optimistic about that either.
Note: Apparently in the Dominican Republic where this dish is very popular, it’s customary to make it with pork rind. If you prefer that version to mine, check it out here.
Mofongo (serves 2)
- 1 large green plantain, peeled and chopped into 2cm thick slices
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsps butter
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the plantain and cook for 3-5 minutes until browned. Scoop out of the pan into a mixing bowl along with the remaining butter.
- Add the garlic and cilantro and mash until it starts to clump together.
- Roll into 4 small balls (I found it easiest to do this by hand).
- Bake at 300 for 10 minutes to warm through and solidify.
Like this? You might also like: