My sister sent me a photo of her cat curled up by her blazing fire, captioned “trying to get warm!” and just for a moment, for the barest second, I missed winter.
It’s madness of course. Winter is a big part of why I moved to this idyllic Caribbean island but every so often I want to wake up to perfectly white snow, sip mugs of hot cocoa, see frost on the window panes and breathe lungfuls of sharp, crispy, invigorating air.
Then I go sit in the sunshine and give myself a mental slap.
Spicy Sausage & Cauliflower Casserole (serves 4)
*adapted from The Kitchn
- 4 cooked spicy italian sausages
- 1/2 large, white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Steam the cauliflower florets for 3 minutes until just starting to soften. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan then add the garlic, onion and thyme. Cook for a few minutes until the onion colours.
- Roughly chop the sausages and add to the pan. Saute until brown then pour in the tomatoes and season well.
- Stir the cauliflower into the mix and then spoon everything into a casserole dish.
- Liberally cover with the parmesan and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
Like this? You might also like: