When I have family visiting, I cook dessert.
This is because Pa-in-Law is famous for his sweet tooth. No matter how much he eats for dinner, as soon as the last morsel hits his stomach, he queries hopefully: “Dessert?”
And I am not the kind of daughter-in-law to say: “No”. I’m the kind of daughter-in-law who says: “Sure, but it’s sugar-free, grain-free and dairy-free. Enjoy!”
Flourless Pear & Apple Cobbler (serves 4)
*adapted from Real Life Paleo
- 1 cup banana chips
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or any dark, brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 12 oz pears, peeled, de-cored and diced
- 3 red apples, peeled, de-cored and diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pulse the banana chips, walnuts, sunflower seeds, sugar and coconut flakes together until they form a mealy crumb.
- Stir in the butter or oil until it starts to clump together.
- Place the apple and pear in a saucepan together with the honey and heat to a simmer. Let boil gently for 10 minutes until everything combines to a sloppy jam-like consistency. Remove from heat and pour into a baking/casserole dish.
- Cover with the crumb topping and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until top browns.
Like this? You might also like: