It’s a hard and fast rule of the universe that with jam, comes bread.
I had a pot of homemade raspberry cinnamon jam but no bread and no desire to break my grain-free diet.
What’s a Paleo girl to do?
In my case: dust off the bargain bag of coconut flour she bought aeons ago and get stuck in.
This recipe uses a lot of eggs, but that comes with the territory when you’re dealing with coconut flour. If you have a problem with eggs this isn’t the bread for you. I’d go looking for an almond flour substitute as usually nut flours don’t require as much eggy moisture.
For more tips on baking with coconut flour, I wrote a handy post a while ago that’s perennially popular…so it must be worth a read.
Honey & Flax Coconut Flour Bread (makes 1 loaf)
*from My Natural Family
- 1 cup coconut flour, sieved
- 3/4 cup arrowroot starch, plus a tsp
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsps raw honey
- Combine the flour, arrowroot, flax meal, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, coconut oil, coconut milk and honey in a separate bowl.
- In another dish, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Add the egg yolks, coconut oil, coconut milk and honey to the dry ingredients, being careful not to over stir the batter as it will clump.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Spoon into a greased loaf tin. Sprinkle a tsp of flax meal over the top and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
Like this? You might also like: