You may remember Louise from PaleoMagazine.com. She shared her Tasty Apple Tartlets recipe here before Christmas and now she’s back with this delicious hash. Both it and the tartlets are taken from her new book – The Essential Paleo Cookbook – which I’ll be reviewing in the near future.
I’ve made and posted a lot of Paleo recipes over the past few years. Some are much more popular than others, and it’s not always related to how delicious the recipe is.
I often worry that certain of our favorite recipes will get overlooked because they’re not “typical” recipes. Some of my favorite recipes are things that don’t look or sound like foods you’ve had before, but they’re absolutely amazing.
This carrot and crab hash is one example of a spectacular recipe that often gets overlooked.
However, it only gets overlooked until someone tastes it. We make it almost every time friends come over to our house, and they always reluctantly try it, only to exclaim that it’s surprisingly yummy.
Moral of the story – make this recipe!
Carrot Crab Hash with Ginger & Cilantro (serves 4-6)
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 lb (454 g) lump crabmeat (fresh or canned)
- ¼ cup (25 g) scallions (green onions), chopped (optional)
- 2 boiled eggs, diced (optional – omit for AIP)
- ¼ cup (4 g) cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsps (4 g) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 2-4 tbsps (30-60 ml) coconut oil
- Place 2-4 tbsps of coconut oil into a frying pan (or a saucepan), and sauté the carrots on medium-high heat until they start to soften (add more coconut oil as the carrots soak it up). This takes approx. 15 minutes.
- Add in the crabmeat, scallions, and boiled eggs and sauté for 10 minutes more.
- Lastly, add the cilantro, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Sauté for a few minutes more to combine the flavors.
- Serve immediately.
- Chicken breast (finely diced) can be used instead of crabmeat, but you should cook it separately before adding to the carrots.
- Scrambled eggs can be used instead of boiled eggs.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used instead of lemon juice.