Moving into the new year, I like to think my belly is a wiser, more mature and less selfish belly.
After the excesses of Christmas and New Years (so many buffets, so little time), it’s settled down and it knows what it wants.
What it wants is soup. Nourishing, healing soup.
But it also wants deliciousness (belly doesn’t compromise when it comes to taste).
Happily, this soup ticked all those boxes and both head and stomach were well satisfied.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Soup (serves 3-4)
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 16 oz baby mushrooms
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsps sour cream
- Add the butter to a frying pan and heat until it foams. Season the chicken then add them to the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side until browned.
- Remove from pan and lower the heat to medium-low. Add the onions, garlic and celery. Gently cook for 5 minutes, scraping up the chicken bits with a wooden spoon.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker along with the cooked onions, garlic and celery. Add the mushrooms and pour over the chicken broth. Season well.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set side to shred.
- Transfer the contents of the crockpot to a blender, add the sour cream and blend until a puree.
- Stir in the chicken and serve.
Like this? You might also like: