When I made this mash I was listening to this, so it’s possible the warm fuzzies I got while eating it are partly Stevie Wonder-related.
But they are also partly because it’s rich and creamy and good.
And we’re a house of avowed squash-haters, so you can trust me when I say that this mash is the best thing to happen to a gourd since I stuffed one full of bacon and cheese.
Delicata is sweeter and creamier than other squash varieties and apparently you can even eat the skin.
But that’s further down the road – first try this mash and get onboard with Team Delicata.
Creamy Delicata Squash & Turnip Mash (serves 2-3)
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 small delicata squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Add the turnip and squash to a pan, pour in enough water to cover, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes until the turnip and squash are tender.
- Drain and add season generously. Add the butter and sour cream and mash until smooth.
- Stir in the parmesan and serve.
Like this? You might also like: