So yesterday the crockpot tried to kill me.
I switched it on and reached out to lightly touch the side to check that it was getting warm. Bam. Electric shock.
My fingers went numb and my arm tingled. It was not a pleasant experience.
But the physical discomfort was nothing compared to the emotional pain. I haven’t felt this betrayed since I was eight and my three ‘best’ friends formed a club without me.
Why crockpot? Why? I’ve used you, loved you, sang your praises to everyone that’ll listen and this is how you repay me.
Guess it’s true what they say: the things you love, eventually wind up killing you.
Crockpot Chicken & Bacon Chowder (serves 4-6)
*slightly adapted from Peace, Love & Low Carb
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large, white onion, chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 8 oz bacon
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 bella mushrooms, sliced
- Add the butter, onion, celery, garlic, mushrooms and leek to the slow cooker. Season and pour in a cup of broth.
- Cook on low for an hour.
- While the veggies are cooking, fry the bacon in a deep frying pan until crispy then remove and set aside. Carefully add the chicken breasts to the pan and sear on all sides until brown. Remove from pan (they’ll still be pink in the middle – that’s fine).
- Scrape up the bacon and chicken bits from the pan along with the fat and pour into the slow cooker. Chop the bacon and chicken and add them too.
- Add the cheese and stir until it’s all broken down then pour in the cream and final cup of broth.
- Stir then let cook on low for 6 hours.
Like this? You might also like: