Brace yourselves, slow cooker recipes are coming.
Last month Hubs and I bought a slow cooker in Canada, lugged it back to our Caribbean island, paid a scandalous amount of duty to get through customs and discovered, within seconds of plugging it in at home, that it was kaput.
(‘kaput’ is not the word I used at the time. That word is not fit for polite company)
Apparently it was a ‘manufacturing defect’ which is shop-speak for ‘we don’t care’.
So we had to chalk that one up as a loss. It took a few weeks to get over my rage (eventually Hubs banished the defunct pot to the attic for the sake of my blood pressure) and get out and buy a replacement.
Happily slow cooker version II is working out great. She’s a productive member of the family and has integrated so well that I can’t remember a time without her.
Slow Cooker Beef Ragu (serves 3-4)
*from Martha Stewart
- 4 lbs beef loin or chuck roast
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tbsps tomato paste
- 3 tsps dried oregano
- 1-2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- Stir together 2 cups of water, the tomato paste, oregano and garlic.
- Put the onion in an even layer over the bottom of the crockpot. Season the beef and place on top of the onion.
- Pour over the tomato sauce and cook on high for 4 1/2 hours.
- Remove lid and gently flake the meat with a fork. Stir in the red wine vinegar and serve over spaghetti squash, a baked potato or rice.
Like this? You might also like: