Now that Thanksgiving is out of the way it’s about time we focused on the most important part of the Christmas season – holiday baking.
I’ve been watching Walkers Shortbread come into the shops for a few weeks now and every time I wheel my cart past the display a fight ensues.
Belly: “WANT! WANT!”
Brain: “Er, grains, sugar, processed flour. Remember those?”
Belly: “BUT WANT! WANT!”
And so thank the Christmas gods for Clothes Make The Girl who has a lovely homemade version using coconut flour. The secret to these is chilling the dough and then baking at a low temp for a long time.
Just don’t do as I did and forget they’re in the oven because you’re too busy putting up the tree. #ChristmasProblems
Paleo Shortbread (makes 8)
*adapted slightly from The Clothes Make The Girl
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sieved
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 6 tbsps butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl stir together all the ingredients until they come together as a thick dough.
- Press into an 8 x 8 baking tray lined with wax paper. Transfer to the freezer and chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 250 for 40-45 minutes until slightly browned. Serve and keep at room temp.
Like this? You might also like: