This is buttery carb heaven at its finest.
Sorry, dairy-haters or those who are unlucky enough to be intolerant, there is no way to convert this decadent side dish because it’s all about the cheese, the cream and the butter.
In short, I feel confident that it would get the Julia Child’s seal of approval at the first taste.
Red Onion & Cheddar Cheese Parsnip Gratin (serves 4-6)
- 3 parsnips
- 3 small yellow potatoes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp djion mustard
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Peel the potatoes and the parsnips and cut both into tiny cubes. Add to a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the veggies are tender then drain well.
- Season well then add 2 tbsps of butter, the mustard and the cream and roughly mash, leaving some solid chunks in there.
- Spoon the mash into a casserole dish.
- Heat a tbsp of butter in a small frying pan and add the red onion. Fry over a high heat until the onion has softened and browned (about 10 minutes).
- Scatter the cheese over the top of the mash, then layer the onion over the top.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, switching to the broiler setting for the last 5 minutes to brown the cheesy topping.
Like this? You might also like: