Mention any meat along with the word ‘smothered’ and I’m there.
It’s just such a happy adjective when it comes to food.
The nights are drawing in so my source of natural light has gone by the time I get round to photographing the food these days.
Sadly it results in some less-than-delicious photography but you’ll just have to trust me on this one – it was a lot tastier than it looks.
Smothered Pork Loin (serves 3-4)
- 113g pork loin
- 4 large baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsps djion mustard
- 2 tbsps heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Trim the pork of any excess fat.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a high heat until it foams. Add the pork and sear until browned on all sides.
- Remove pork from pan (don’t clean it! you need it for the sauce) and transfer to a casserole dish. Roast at 400 for 35 minutes.
- While the pork is cooking, make the sauce by adding the bacon to the pan and cooking for a few minutes over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, fry until they colour and the bacon starts to brown.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes until they soften.
- Stir in the cream, mustard and sour cream. Turn the heat down to low to let it simmer and add the pepper and lemon juice.
- Five minutes before the pork is done, remove it from the oven, slice into rounds and generously cover with the sauce. Put back in the oven for five minutes then serve immediately.
Like this? You might also like: