Lovely reader Rosie, who shares my affinity for all things cheesy, sent me this link last week: 21 Life Changing Things To Do With Cheddar Cheese.
I was intrigued, I was appreciative but, above all, I was hungry.
Rosie suggested that I give some of the recipes the TMBL treatment and, on reflection, I seconded this excellent plan.
So here’s my first go around. In its original incarnation this was a Bratwurst, Cheddar & Beer Soup.
Naturally, I removed the beer from the equation (sorry Hubs) to keep it gluten-free and tided up a few other ingredients to produce a cleaner soup that (I hope) retains the tastiness of the original.
It certainly hit the spot for me.
Grilled Bratwurst & Cheddar Soup (serves 3-4)
*adapted from Serious Eats
- 3 bratwurst
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 tbsp djion mustard
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- Fry the bratwurst in a frying pan over a high heat until well browned. Remove and chop into pieces.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat and add the onion and celery and cook for 4 minutes until softened.
- Add the bacon and cook until it browns then stir in the garlic, potatoes, mustard and hot sauce.
- Turn the heat up and pour in the stock and heavy cream. Add the bratwurst, season well and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Mix the arrowroot with a little water (about 2 tbsps) then pour into the soup and stir to thicken. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the cheese just before serving.
Like this? You might also like: