If you’re coming to dinner at my house, you can be sure of one thing.
There will be potatoes.
Mashed, boiled or roasted, the humble spud is a people pleaser and a guaranteed hit at most social gatherings.
You can also rely on dessert. But that’s a tale for another day (tomorrow! Spoiler alert: cheesecake is coming!)
Leek & Garlic Mashed Potato Gratin (serves 6-8)
*adapted from Gratinee
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 spring/green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- sea salt & black pepper
- Add the potatoes to a large saucepan, add some salt and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, pour the cream into another saucepan, add the garlic and onion and heat gently until it starts to simmer then take off the heat.
- Drain the potatoes, season well and add the cream mixture and 2 tbsps butter. Mash until smooth then stir in the parmesan.
- Melt a tbsp butter in a small saucepan and add the leek. Gently fry until the leeks are soft (3-5 minutes).
- Spoon the mash into a large casserole dish in an even layer. Sprinkle the leeks over the top, followed by the cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until the cheese has browned. Serve.
Like this? You might also like: