In a desperate attempt to get some protein and fibre into me, I’ve gone off the paleo reservation these past few weeks.
If possible, use your own broth to give it an extra healthy kick. The store-bought stuff will never be as flavourful.
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 large, white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tsps thyme
- Add the bacon to a wide bottomed saucepan and cook until browned. Remove from pan with a slotted pan to reserve the fat. Set aside to cool.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and thyme to the pan and gently cook for 10 minutes until the onion and celery soften.
- Add the potatoes, peas and lentils. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer gently for 40-45 minutes until the lentils and peas soften.
- Season well then chop the bacon and sprinkle on top before serving.
Like this? You might also like: