If you have trouble getting the guy/girl/kids in your life to eat salads, this is the salad to make them.
And if they still proclaim to hate salads then remove them from your life immediately…no-one needs that kind of negativity.
I served up a big bowl of this to hubs, saying as I plonked it on the table: “I know there’s a lot. You don’t have to eat it all, we can save some for lunch tomorrow.”
The words had barely left my mouth before the bowl was clean.
What can I say? My man likes his salads with plenty of meat and cheese.
It’s one of the many reasons I married him.
Taco Salad (serves 2-3)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps salsa
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp butter
- Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the onion and garlic. Let the onion fry for a few minutes to get some colour and absorb the butter.
- Add the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. When the beef is browned, add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir through then remove from heat, stir in the salsa and let cool.
- Toss the lettuce with the cheese in a large salad bowl. Add the avocado chunks, followed by the meat and gently toss some more until it all combines.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Like this? You might also like: