I was listening to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack while making this soup (yes, I am that lame) so a lot of butt-wriggling went into the making of this meal.
There’s nothing like dancing round the kitchen while cooking.
It might frighten and alarm Hubs/the neighbours, but it really whets my appetite (plus it burns calories, so there’s that).
Of course, I have zero coordination so private kitchen dancing is pretty much the only kind of dancing I do.
That and too-many-glasses-of-wine dancing or I-really-need-to-pee dancing.
Broccoli & Bacon Soup (serves 3-4)
- 6 Bacon rashers/slices
- 1 small, white onion, finely chopped
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets (slice up the stalks too – you want all the goodness)
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cups chicken (or veg) stock
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 3/4 cup cup heavy cream (optional)
- Line the bottom of a large saucepan with the bacon strips (you might have to cut them in half to get them to fit). Fry over a high heat until brown then remove from the pan (leaving the precious bacon fat) and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery to the bacon fat. Turn the heat down to medium and saute for 5 minutes, scraping the pan to get all the residual brown bits of bacon into the mix.
- Stir in the spinach and heat until it wilts.
- Add the broccoli and the stock. Turn the heat up and cover. Let the soup simmer for 25 minutes until the broccoli is tender then transfer to a blend and puree until smooth.
- Pour back into your saucepan. Cut up the bacon strips into small pieces, add them to the pan. Give it a final stir (and if you’re using cream, now’s the time to add it) then serve.
Like this? You might also like: