Eating out can be a minefield if you’re trying to watch what you eat, but I’ve found that it’s rare for a restaurant not to have some version of a Cobb Salad on their menu.
It’s my foolproof option when I want something decadent but partially healthy and gluten-free.
Don’t be disheartened by the long ingredients list in this one. Most of the below are spices you likely have in your cupboards already.
Sure, it hurt my delicate, dainty fingers typing all that out….but that’s just the kind of food blogger I am – unselfish and unwavering in my quest to get delicious recipes like this one right to your belly.
Cajun Cobb Salad (serves 2)
- 4 oz mixed salad greens, shredded (I used romaine and kale)
- 4 slices/rashers bacon
- 2 spring/green onions, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 large eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Fry the bacon until crispy, remove from pan and let cool. Cut into small pieces and set aside.
- Dice the chicken and toss with the spices, ensuring the pieces are well covered. Add the chicken to the pan full of bacon fat. Fry until golden brown and cooked through (about 4 minutes). Set aside.
- Whisk together the oils and red wine vinegar. Drizzle over the salad leaves and onion. Toss to ensure they are coated.
- Gently toss together the leaves, chicken, bacon bits and cheese. Serve with the avocado and quartered eggs.
Like this? You might also like: