Things have been a bit hectic in the TMBL household lately.
It’s a happy kind of hectic though since we’re preparing for our summer holidays (that’s vacation to you guys).
In preparation for a very long cross-Atlantic flight I’m trying to boost Hubs and my immune systems to keep us healthy while we sit in a tin box, inhaling and touching all manner of germs.
And don’t forget the jetlag which is much easier to fight if you’re in good shape.
So I’ve been cramming lots of nutritious meals into us. Meals like this hearty soup – for which I used my own fish stock (I highly recommend this, homemade fish stock is nothing short of a superfood).
Try to use wild-caught fish if possible as the farmed stuff is crap-full of antibiotics and other nasties. And if you’re an over-achiever and want to go that extra mile, catch it yourself.
Spicy Grouper Chowder (serves 4)
*adapted from Emeril Lagasse
- 2 lbs white fish such as grouper, cut into chunks
- 1 scotch bonnet chile
- 1 spring/green onion
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 3 cups fish stock
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- In a food processor blend together the chile, green onion, 1 tsp of salt and a tbsp of lime juice to a paste.
- Drizzle paste over the fish, stirring well to ensure the chunks are well coated with it. Pour over the remaining lime juice, cover and put in the fridge to chill while you start the soup.
- Melt the ghee/oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and bell peppers. Cook for 7-10 minutes until soft. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, ptoato, stock, coconut milk, thyme and remaining salt.
- Bring to a low boil then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes until the potatoes are very tender.
- Stir in the fish along with a tbsp of the marinade. Cook gently for 7-10 minutes until fish is cooked through.
Like this? You might also like: