The summer has renewed my love of all things salad-y.
For one thing, it’s just too damn hot to turn on the oven these days so I’m restoring to cutting up any veggies I find in the fridge, dribbling something on them and putting the whole thing in a bowl and calling it ‘salad’.
That strategy is working out pretty well for me.
A note of caution however – if you’ve any thyroid issues, it’s best not to consume raw cruciferous vegetables (such as these sprouts) on a regular basis. They produce goitrogens which can damage the thyroid gland if eaten in large amounts.
You’re not going to suffer any damage from 5 measly sprouts, but if you are really concerned feel free to substitute sliced celery and make it a kind of moroccan slaw.
Moroccan Carrot & Sprout Salad (serves 2)
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 5 small sprouts
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 4-5 mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- a pinch of sea salt
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, salt, cumin and mint. Set aside to let the flavours infuse.
- Cut the carrots into very thin strips (I used a vegetable peeler to get even ‘noodles’), then thinly slice the sprouts.
- Toss everything together until the veggies are well-coated with the dressing. Chill or serve.
Like this? You might also like:
- Brussel Sprout, Goat’s Cheese & Pistachio Salad
- Asian Cucumber & Carrot Salad
- Broccoli & Sweet Potato Salad