Although squash soups are typically more of a winter thing, I’ve converted this one into something lighter and more summery.
How? By adding a lot of coconut milk, some fragrant flavours like ginger and cilantro and then taking a big bowl of it and eating it outside on my patio, in the sun.
Coconut & Squash Soup (serves 4)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery, garlic and ginger. Let the flavours mingle and the onions sweat for 10 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the butternut squash and sweet potato. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro leaf and take off the heat.
- Transfer to a blender and process until smooth. Add the coconut milk, season to taste and serve.
Like this? You might also like:
- Curried Parsnip & Squash Soup
- Rosemary Butternut Squash Hash
- Butternut Squash, Bacon & Goat’s Cheese Salad