The summer is grilling season. Unfortunately, here in the islands, early summer (June) is typically rainy season.
And so Hubs and I found ourselves huddling over our BBQ in the pouring rain, looking at our burgers like a pair of drowned vultures.
Side note: do you know how hard it is to hold an umbrella with one hand and flip a burger with the other?
It requires a level of dexterity I do not possess.
Happily, my belly is ready for burgers whatever the weather.
Bring it on, rainy season!
Guacamole Bacon Burgers (makes 2 large burgers)
- 16 oz ground beef
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 large romaine lettuce leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, add the salt and pepper to the beef and stir well. Using your hands divide the meat into two equal portions and shape each into a patty about 1/2 inch thick. Cover and let chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the avocado flesh from the skin and stone then mash well and stir in the garlic, lime juice and mayo until combined. Put in the fridge until needed.
- Fry the bacon until crispy. Drain and set aside.
- Grill the burgers over a high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side (if you like them medium well). Let rest for a minute before plating.
- Assemble the burger by placing the patty on a lettuce leaf, topping with a generous scoop of guacamole and then 2 pieces of bacon.
Like this? You might also like: