It’s not often that I meet a recipe I don’t want to change.
‘What if I just try adding a touch of vanilla?‘, ‘This would be much better with chocolate!‘, ‘Why not go crazy and throw in a lime?”
You get the gist.
This time, thanks to Against All Grain, I met my match. A perfect lemon bar/square recipe that was perfect just the way it was.
And I was particularly impressed that these lovely cakes are nut-free, grain-free and dairy-free since they were scoffed just as I was coming off a Whole30 and wasn’t quite ready to re-introduce dairy.
Healthy and tasty?! If only all my other dreams were as easily achievable.
Lemon Squares (makes 9)
*from Against All Grain
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, finely ground
- 2/3 cup coconut flour, sieved
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 2 tbsps honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsps lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, plus one yolk
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, strained
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tbsps coconut flour, sieved
- Prepare the crust by stirring together all the ingredients in a large bowl until it forms a sticky, soft dough. Press this dough into a greased or lined 9in x 9in baking tray. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes (it will still be a bit soft but be slightly browned). Remove and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together all the filling ingredients except for the flour. Stir in the flour then let sit for 10 minutes to absorb and thicken. Whisk again until smooth (if there are lumps, strain the mixture). Pour onto the base and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until the top layer is set but still slightly jiggly in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool completely then put in the fridge to chill.
- Once chilled, remove from tray and slice into squares.
Like this? You might also like: