Getting back into the kitchen took a while after Dog’s death.
On the first attempt, I opened the fridge and dissolved into tears.
The second time, I made it as far as the chopping board before falling apart.
(we ate a lot of meals out last week).
The problem is that no other place in the house has as many memories for me. Even now, a week later, I can still almost see him out of the corner of my eye – impatiently waiting for his meal, sniffing at ours.
But life goes on and hubs and I still need to eat. It’s especially important in times of stress to take care of yourself – both mentally and physcially – so the eating out had to be stopped.
Instead we loaded up on nature’s original comfort food – sweet, plump berries.
Simple Summer Salad (serves 4-6)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 10 strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 mango, peeled and diced
- /14 large pineapple (or 1 1/2 cups diced chunks)
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice
- juice of 2 limes
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Add the fruit to a large serving bowl. Gently toss with the mint then drizzle with the lime and pineapple juices. Give it another gentle toss to combine. It’s best served immediately but will keep up to 12 hours in the fridge.
Like this? You might also like: