This morning on the radio I heard a woman talking about a charity event she was planning in her town. Listing the various activities that would take place, she said: “There’ll be a bouncy castle, some food stalls. Oh, and there’ll be plenty of gains.”
“Gains?!” I thought to myself, “Why would people be bulking up for a fete? Will there be weights? Are they serving protein shakes?”
It was only later I realised she’d said games, not gains. Clearly I’m spending way too much time reading fitness blogs.
And that realisation led to this list. What would you add?
You Know You’re a Fitness Nerd When…
- You talk in acronyms. Example: “I totally killed that WOD today”, “I’m hurting from my HIIT session”, “I’ve finally mastered the SLRD”
- You can name (and do) at least 20 variations on the plank. Including this scary looking thing
- You can name (and do) at least 35 variations on the squat (the Sissy Squat is anything but)
- You know every Beyonce tune, and you don’t even like Beyonce (probably best not to admit that though). Side note: what is it about gyms and Beyonce? Mine plays her entire back catalogue on a loop. It’s enough to make your ears detach and run to Cuba
- You volunteer to carry ALL the grocery bags-in one hand-because you missed the gym yesterday and could use the workout
- You bought ankle weights so you could surrepitiously do weighted calf raises in the office (or is that just me?!)
- Your jeans getting tighter is a cause for celebration (I am all about the junk in the trunk)
- Your Google search history looks like this: “video of Single Leg Deadlifts”, “advanced squat technique”, “best remedies for muscle soreness”
- You think Barbel Denim jeans are the Best. Idea. Ever. and have already signed up for four pairs.
- You see this video and take it as a challenge.
Weigh in: Are you a fitness nerd? What would you add to the list? Did you find yourself nodding at any of the above?
Like this? You might also like:
- 10 Things I’ve Learned From Pilates (and the gym in general)
- The Grunter, The Space Invader, The Fashionista…Which Is Your Gym Alter-Ego?
- Getting Back Together with The Gym: 5 Ways to Make It Less Painful