It is a disgrace and a travesty that I had to hear about clapshot from the internet.
It’s a traditional Scottish dish, very similar to Irish champ – in that it’s mashed root vegetables and often involves potato.
I’m Irish, and I lived in Scotland for two years.
Why then, was I so ignorant of this delicious side dish? It’s a shocking lapse on my part.
One I must make up for by eating this in great quantities…or at least that’s my excuse.
Clapshot with Bacon (serves 4)
- 5 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 turnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 slices/rashers bacon
- Place the carrots and turnips in a pan of water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 25 minutes until soft.
- Fry the bacon until crispy then remove from the pan and cut into pieces.
- Season the carrots and turnips then mash well with the butter. Stir in the bacon bits and serve.
Like this? You might also like: