I meant to make a Simnel Cake for Easter but somehow I bought chocolate chips instead of fruit, and then this cake happened.
(guess that’s what they mean when they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions)
I’ve no regrets however (I very rarely do when it comes to food) as this was delicious.
A word of caution – since you are using the zest of the orange, please by organic if possible. A dose of pesticides would really take the fun out of this cake.
Orange Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 heaped tbsp orange zest (NB: both the zest and the juice came from one large, navel orange for me)
- 2 tbsps sour cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- Whisk together the butter/oil, sour cream, eggs and honey. Add the orange juice and zest and stir to combine.
- Sieve the coconut flour into a large mixing bowl. Very gradually add the wet ingredients, being careful not to over-stir or the batter will dry out (coconut flour is tricky, get baking tips here).
- When the batter is thick and semi-runny, fold in the chocolate chips and spoon into a greased or lined standard loaf tin.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes. Let cool before removing from pan and slicing.
Like this? You might also like: