If you’re paleo/primal/gluten-free, then it’s best you look away now.
This is not for you.
Nope, this is for my fried-catfish-loving husband. Although my belly is not a huge fan of corn (or fried food), it makes an exception now and then for hubs.
I figure that if I cook it for him at home (with good quality, organic cornmeal) then he won’t go onto the streets, scavenging for it like a hopeless junkie.
Also if there’s one thing these three years of marriage have taught me, it’s that sometimes you need to compromise.
And so we both enjoyed this cornmeal coated catfish, but don’t worry – normal service will resume next week.
Have a good weekend y’all!
Southern-Style Fried Catfish (serves 2)
- 2 catfish fillets
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt & black pepper
- 1/4 cup duck fat (or coconut oil – you need an oil with a high smoke point)
- Whisk the egg together with the milk.
- Stir the paprika into the cornmeal and liberally season.
- Drop the catfish into the egg and milk mixture, then dredge in the cornmeal making sure it is fully coated.
- Heat the oil over a high heat. Carefully add the fish and fry 2-3 minutes each side until brown. Serve with tartar sauce and eat immediately.
Like this? You might also like: