I blame Facebook.
I was all set for a week of absolutely no sugar….and then this appeared in my Facebook newsfeed.
It takes a stronger woman than myself to resist the siren call of homemade, dairy-free chocolate.
I had all the ingredients in my cupboard so it was ON.
Mint and nuts are my favourite varieties of chocolate, so in they went too.
The verdict? Let’s just say that there’s another bar currently chilling in the fridge. This one’s got dried fruit in it.
Peppermint & Almond Chocolate Bars (makes 6)
*adapted slightly from Healy Real Food Vegetarian
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- Grind your sugar in a coffee grinder or similar processor to make it into a fine powder.
- Melt the coconut oil in a double broiler. Once liquid, whisk in the cocoa powder, sugar and peppermint extract.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds.
- Pour into a standard loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer (it should be partially frozen) and, using a sharp knife, score the bar vertically and horizontally to create your individual squares in the bar.
- Put back in the freezer for 10 minutes then store in the freezer or fridge.
Like this? You might like: