But I can honestly say this was my first fish stuffing.
It was weird and unpleasant.
That glassy, dead eye watched me the whole time I was peeling back its scaly flesh and shoving bits of vegetable into its innards.
However the delicious meal that resulted was more than worth it.
Next time we have friends over, I think I might put my revulsion aside and serve this. It’s fancy-looking, it tastes good and it’s very easy to prepare.
I might have nightmares for the next week but, as I say, worth it. Totally worth it.
Lemon & Fennel Stuffed Snapper (serves 2)
- 2 whole snapper, gutted and cleaned
- 2 lemons
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- sea salt
- Pat the fish dry and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Make three diagonal slits into the flesh of the fish (roughly parallel to the gills).
- Thinly slice both the lemon and the fennel bulb. Insert slices of each into each slit then stuff the rest into the fish’s belly cavity.
- Sprinkle with fennel fronds and thyme then place under the broiler/grill (set to high) and grill for 25 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Like this? You might also like: