It’s Christmas Eve tomorrow. TOMORROW!
You don’t know how much self-control it takes not to write this whole post in blaring caps, because I AM THAT EXCITED.
People say Christmas loses its magic once you grow up and stop believing in Santa.
I say “Nonsense!”
Christmas is magical at any age because it’s a time when you show people how much you love them, and get love back in return.
If you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you’ll know that one of my favourite ways to show love is to cook.
That’s why our Christmas dinner this week will be hubs’ unofficial Christmas gift. I’m not feeding a crowd, it’ll just be him and me. But I’m going all out anyway.
Because every brussels sprout, every bite of stuffing and every sip of eggnog comes right from the heart. And, when it comes to hubs, it’s a very big heart 🙂
Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Chestnuts (serves 3-4)
- 16 brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 10 chestnuts
- 1 tbsp bacon (or goose/duck) fat
- 1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
- sea salt and black pepper
- Score an “X” in the chestnuts and bake at 400 for 30 minutes, then peel, roughly quarter and set aside.
- Put the bacon fat in a casserole dish and place in the oven for a minute until the fat melts.
- Remove from oven and toss in the sprouts and onion, stirring to make sure they are coated. Season liberally.
- Return to oven and bake at 400 for 25 minutes until the sprouts crisp and brown. Stir through the chestnuts just before serving.
Like this? You might also like:
- Brussels Sprout, Goat’s Cheese & Pistachio Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecan Vinaigrette
- Brussels Sprout Hash