I want to eat more liver, I really do.
But then it comes out of the chicken looking all gnarly and squishy and my ick factor goes through the roof.
I’ve even considered making my own liver capsules (a la Empowered Sustenance who advises freezing liver and then chopping into cubes to be taken as desired).
But it’s just so…gross.
No, the easiest way to get this sucker into my diet is to combine it with things I love – fresh herbs, rich duck fat, mushrooms and garlic.
That way the good balances out the rank, in a wonderfully karmic kinda deal.
Chicken Liver & Mushroom Pate (makes about a cup)
- 4 oz chicken livers
- 2 tbsps duck fat
- 8 button mushrooms
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat a tbsp of duck fat in a frying pan. Add the shallots, garlic and mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the livers and cook until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Tip the ingredients into a bowl, season and stir in the remaining tbsp of fat, thyme and lemon juice.
- When cool, transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
Like this? You might also like: