The last time we took Dog to the vet with his skin problems, the guy told us to put him on a pork-and-sweet-potato only diet.
Given that these are generally considered to be hypoallergenic foods, it made sense….
….until I did a bit of digging and discovered that Dog’s problem may well be exacerbated by a yeast overgrowth. Guess what feeds yeast?
Carbs like sweet potatoes *facepalm*
So we switched things up (replacing them with low GI veggies) and he seems to be doing better. Great for Dog, but not so great for me who now has a glut of leftover sweet potatoes and no earthly idea how to eat them all.
So my thoughts turned to cake (as they often do) and it was a short hop from cake to this lovely, moist, autumnal loaf.
Maple Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- Place the potato in a pot of boiling water and simmer until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and set aside to cool.
- Blend the potato in a food processor along with the coconut oil and maple syrup until very smooth.
- Whisk together the eggs, almond butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the sweet potato.
- Sieve the coconut flour into a separate bowl then add the potato mixture to the flour, it should form a thick batter (be careful not to over-stir or it will dry out). Fold in the pecans and raisins.
- Spoon into a 9in x 5in greased or lined loaf tin and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
Like this? You might also like: