I tried writing this post while simultaneously talking on the phone and emailing my mother.
Then I tried eating my soup while feeding Dog and googling natural hair conditioners.
Then I realised that, contrary to popular belief, women are not amazing at multi-tasking (at least this one isn’t) and I should just slow down, concentrate on one thing at once and breathe.
It’s been that kind of a week. The kind of week where life seems to rush by like a Tasmanian Devil and leave you all tuckered out and fit for nothing.
So my advice to you with this soup is savour it.
Eat it slowly, taste every mouthful and enjoy every flavour. Otherwise you’ll blink and it’ll be just a memory.
(yes, it’s possible I laboured that soup-as-life metaphor but it’s Friday, and I’m counting the hours ’til it’s socially acceptable to crack open a bottle of red)
Curried Parsnip & Squash Soup (serves 3-4)
- 3 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 half butternut squash, seeds removed, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small, white, onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch chunk of ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsps curry powder
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic, ginger and onion and fry for five minutes.
- Stir in the parsnip and squash. Season then add the curry powder and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Pour in the stock, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and stir in the coconut milk. Serve.
Like this? You might also like: