Liver is something I struggle to get in my diet…I mean, c’mon, it’s liver.
But I’m trying to get better because of all the wonderful health benefits that come with eating such a gnarly organ.
Since the chicken I roast for our Sunday dinner comes with its own liver handily packed inside the chest cavity (let’s ignore the horror of that and move on), there’s no excuse.
So last Sunday I fried it up with some garlic, shallots and fresh herbs.
It’s the ultimate chicken liver dish for those who hate chicken livers (me included). You need plenty of flavour to balance out the gamey taste and this delivers.
Sadly though that still doesn’t stop me feeling like Hannibal Lecter when I eat it. Especially when it’s served with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Pan-fried Chicken Livers with Garlic & Shallots (serves 2)
- 4 oz chicken livers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp duck fat (or butter)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 tsp fresh parsely, finely chopped
- 2 tsps fresh thyme
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat the fat in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and fry until the onion softens.
- Season the chicken liver, then add it to the pan and fry 3-4 minutes until cooked through and browned on all sides.
- Sprinkle over the lemon juice, then the parsley and thyme. Serve immediately.
Like this? You might also like: