When I was little baked potato night was my favourite night.
My mother let us choose our own toppings (I was a cheese and bacon fan) and the potato skins would always be crisp, crunchy and salty.
Despite the fact that I’m now…ahem…just into my thirties, my tastebuds remain roughly 10 years old.
Weekly baked potato night is something I’d like to instil in our house, but then I embarked upon the Whole30 and that idea needed some adjustment.
If I weren’t shunning dairy at the moment, I’d be loading this sucker up with cheese….but it’s damn good even without.
I wasn’t too sure about using avocado as the mixing agent (I’d normally go for mayo or sour cream) but it works and gives it that creamy hit that’s essential to every good mash.
Chicken & Avocado Twice Baked Sweet Potato (serves 2)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, ghee or butter
- Melt the oil, ghee or butter and brush over the potatoes so the entire skin is covered. Generously season with sea salt then prick all over a few times. Bake at 420 for 45mins, until insides are soft and squishy.
- Carefully remove from the oven, slice lengthways, scoop out the insides (being careful not to rip the skin) and put the potato in a bowl. Put the empty shells back into the oven to crisp up further while you are mashing.
- Add the avocado to the potato, season well and mash vigorously. Stir in the chicken and green onions.
- Transfer the mash back into the potato skins and return to the oven for ten more minutes until they brown.
Like this? You might also like:
- Parmesan, Bacon & Sweet Potato Mash
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Scones
- Sweet Potato Cottage Pie Topped with Cheesy Leeks