It’s my birthday this week and therefore I’ve been too busy
eating cake doing important birthday-related things to do much writing.
Instead, I’ll let the internet (in its infinite wisdom) speak for me.
While I’m off testing the notion that you’re too old to wear party hats in your thirties, you enjoy these links.
- It’s been a bad week for food. First there was the news that scientists have produced a burger made entirely from lab-grown meat. Yep, you heard that right, test-tube meat. Sounds tasty, no? In a thoughtful post, the Guardian asks is the frankenburger natural?
- Then came the so-called ‘Golden Rice‘. A genetically modified crop that the powers that be are now trying to push onto the Philippines. Agriculture campaigner Daniel Okompo wants more money invested in the country’s Organic Agriculture Programme instead, which seems a no-brainer to me.
- It’s probably not a good idea to read this post while hungry, the Everywhereist talks scoffing eclairs in Paris. Now I not only want pastries, I also want a french holiday.
- Want to know which US state is the saddest? Or the happiest? Find out where your state ranks over at Io9 which has a handy infographic.
- Confused by cookery? Don’t worry, even the most experienced of us are left scratching our heads at a recipe. Thankfully Buzzfeed is here to help with The 13 Scariest Words in Recipes and What They Mean.
- And finally, it’s Shark Week this week. For some people it’s an opportunity to learn about these unique and fascinating creatures. For others it’s an opportunity to dress up your cat. If that sounds like something you’re into (and who am I to judge, if Dog was the type to sit still, I’d do the same) here are 24 Cats Who Are Celebrating Shark Week.
That’s it folks! There’s a delicious dessert recipe coming up tomorrow in honour of my birthday, and summer, and cake in general.