It’s summer. It’s too freakin’ hot to bake and therefore the only type of cakes I’m making at the moment are freezer cakes.
The beauty of freezer cakes (apart from the fact that they’re cold) is that you can mix together almost anything with chocolate, leave it to chill and voila! Dessert!
I’m including popcorn in this one because I like my freezer cakes to have a lot of different textures. You can omit the corn if you’re not a fan of the grain.
Don’t be too hasty though – The Healthy Home Economist makes a strong case for popcorn, calling it: “a fantastic and healthy snack choice” due to its high level of polyphenols.
Of course, she’s talking about homemade popcorn.
Whatever you do, please don’t buy the microwaveable stuff, as it contains dangerous carcinogens.
I like to get organic corn and pop it in coconut oil. Drown it in butter and sea salt and you’re guaranteed a bowl of yum.
Popcorn Chocolate Freezer Cake (makes 12 small squares)
- 2 cups popcorn
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Beat together the egg yolk, butter, vanilla and honey until smooth. Set aside.
- Gently melt the chocolate until it’s liquid.
- Gradually pour the chocolate into the egg yolk and butter mix, stirring constantly so it doesn’t congeal.
- Fold in the nuts and popcorn.
- Spoon mixture into a 16cm x 16cm baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Leave to set in the freezer for two hours then remove and cut into squares. Store in the freezer if you like it crunchy, or the fridge if you want it a bit softer.
Like this? You might also like:
This post was also shared at Party Wave Wednesday